21 days is the timeline that's been determined for developing…
One of the things that come to mind when the weather starts to transition to spring is the thought of cleaning up the house. This is perhaps in keeping up with the notion that things are made all anew as the first flower bud pops up. Whatever it is, you will definitely want to make the challenging task of spring cleaning a lot less stressful on yourself – and this is by enlisting the help of the entire family. While it might be tempting to just book an appointment for spring cleaning service instead of rallying the troops to your cause, take a chance first! You would probably be surprised at how much traction in your spring cleaning routine you can make when everyone pitches in, and by the end of it there will be minimal work to be done by the professional house cleaning service. Here are some tips to making it happen.
Delegation is Key
Delegate the chores to make your Spring Cleaning a more organised and enjoyable affair. There are a number of ways to do this, for example:
- Delegate the chores according to age. Research on spring cleaning tasks for developmental appropriateness and make a match between those that are closest to each family member’s age. For example, younger children can be tasked with sorting through their toys and placing those that they do not like in a big box for donation. Teenage children and young adults can do spring cleaning tasks like packing up everyone’s winter clothes and vacuum sealing them before returning them to storage.
- Delegate the chores according to capability. Zero in on what each family member is particularly good at in relation to spring cleaning, and assign tasks that would maximise that. Have the girls decide on what goes and what stays, and have the boys haul out those items that are to be donated to the local op shop.
Make a Schedule for Spring Cleaning
There’s no need to surprise the entire family by waking them up one day and announcing that everyone’s going to participate in a 24 hour long spring cleaning marathon. You can actually begin slowly by making a schedule of what needs to be cleared out weeks before you finally call in your local house cleaning services:
- Three weeks before – have everyone go through paper clutter to determine what needs to be kept, donated, or recycled (this includes books and magazines!)
- Two weeks before – make sure everyone goes through their clothes, shoes, and bags and follow the same pattern of keep, donate, or throw out
- One week before – use this week for odds and ends that each family member has and have them determine what stays and what goes
As you go through your belongings, you can also heed these cleaning tips to keep dust and dirt to a minimum.
Have a Tangible Cleaning Checklist
Now that a good number of things have been chucked out or stored properly, spring cleaning becomes a much easier task. Type up a list of cleaning chores for each family member (again, following the delegation guideline as much as possible) and have them tick off each item as they accomplish it. You can also do it on a per area basis or assignment, like this room by room spring cleaning guide.
A note on making the checklist: have a family meeting prior to the tasks being carried out to ensure that everyone agrees on the assigned tasks. Keep an open mind to suggestions that others may have, but be firm when you need it. Above all, make an effort to keep things balanced out between family members so nobody feels resentful over what could be perceived as a list that’s longer than the others.
Don’t Forget: Rewards for a Job Well Done
And finally, don’t forget to recognise your family’s efforts at cleaning the house by treating everyone to a pizza dinner or taking a special trip to the supermarket so they can stock up on a few of their favourite munchies for an at-home movie night. Sure, you could have just booked an appointment with local house cleaning service and leave it to the experts – but there is something undeniably character forming about rounding up everybody to accomplish something important like spring cleaning. Making them feel valued and recognising their contributions should definitely solidify your family bond, and having a nice, clean home by the end of it is definitely a fantastic result!